Thursday, 10 December 2015

With loving memories

It’s been a funny old day, emotional, celebratory and thought-provoking.
It is three years since my mother passed away, my sister and I took a trip to my parents’ grave to put a Christmas wreath on it and to spend a little time in thoughtful memory of Mum. My sister and I regularly get the giggles when we are together and as so often happens, we ended up with tears of laughter running down our faces and remembered Mum’s reaction when this used to happen. She would roll her eyes skywards and with a slightly disapproving look say something like ‘honestly, you two just can’t behave when you are together’ and then as she’d turn away from us, we’d see her unable to suppress a little smile.
When I got home from the churchyard I made a gluten free lemon cake with lemon zest and Sicilian Limoncello extract (all the taste but no alcohol) topped with tangy lemon curd to offer to friends who were coming early afternoon for tea and natter. Our visitors were the previous owners of our lovely little home. It was they who did so much work to the house to transform it into the beautiful place that we now live in. It must have been strange for them to come back to the familiar building but with all our belongings in it. I was pleased that they liked the shrub border I am creating by the windbreak and I’m looking forward to visiting their new house once the hectic rush of late December is over.
Mid-afternoon we then headed back once more to our former home to collect some more of our belongings. Thankfully I can switch off and snooze in the car which gives me a chance to recharge my batteries a little. It feels like it is taking forever to clear the house, but the reality is that we can only do a little bit at a time as I get tired quickly and today had already been quite a busy one. We should finally have cleared and cleaned our former house by the end of the weekend and we can put all our efforts into this little smallholding.
So tonight, we are having a gentle evening, we both have our feet up, Mr J looks relaxed and happy and I’ve been in my element pouring over gardening books and magazines deciding if there are any urgent tasks that I need to do before it gets too late into the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.