Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Gardening birthday and gluten free Sticky Ginger Oaty Cake

It's my birthday and I've had a relaxed and gentle day. This morning I made a Sticky Ginger Oaty Cake (gluten free of course) to have with a cuppa later in the day and pottered in the kitchen until the sun came up. And when it did, it shone, not just a bit, but full on shiny, happy sunshine, what a great treat after the wet, windy and miserable weather we have had for the last month or so.

As so often happens, I lost quite a while watching the chickens, it was a pleasure to see them enjoying the sunshine. They didn't lay any eggs today, so I am hoping that they feel okay. They all look well and healthy and their behaviour didn't indicate anything wrong with them, so we'll see how they are tomorrow.

Then Mr J and I tackled a few tasks in the garden. We emptied a large rectangular, shallow container of rain water, fallen leaves and mud and moved it to the area that we have designated as 'duck corner' as this will become a paddling pool for them. I then relocated some lovely lavender plants to beside a new path that will go from the yard into the paddock that is becoming the vegetable and fruit garden. These should form a form a hedge that will smell heavenly as we brush past it.
We ate a late lunch and then I had a much needed afternoon snooze. Actually I zonked out completely for a couple of hours and woke up feeling refreshed and relaxed. This evening I have spoken to my family, watched a little television and caught up with some reading online.

All in all, it's been a delightful day, once again I am feeling blessed.



Gluten Free Sticky Ginger Oaty Cake

2 oz gluten free self-raising flour
2oz finely ground cornmeal
4oz jumbo rolled oats
Good pinch salt
1/2 tspn gluten free baking powder
1 heaped tspn ground ginger
4 oz molasses or soft dark brown sugar
1/4 pint olive oil or corn oil
4 oz golden syrup or treacle
1 egg
4 tblspn milk
Crystallised ginger to taste
Zest of one lemon and orange


Pre-heat oven to 170C, 150Fan, gas mark 3, 325F.
Grease and line a 7 inch square tin or 8 inch round tin.
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, cornmeal, oats, salt, baking powder, ground ginger).
Gently heat the oil, molasses (sugar) and oil in a pan until the sugar has dissolved.
Beat together the egg and milk.
 Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir.


Chop crystallised ginger into small pieces, grate a little lemon and orange zest and stir into the mixture.
Pour into the baking tin (I used my trusty old fluted pie dish)
and cook for 40 - 60 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to rest until almost cool and then cover in cling film or store in an airtight container for a couple of days before eating.

Note - Cooking time will vary with your oven, my oven seems to cook everything quickly (it was done in 40 - 45 minutes), but my last oven was much slower, so it's worth keeping an eye on your cake to ensure that it doesn't 'catch' at the edges.

I didn't wait for a couple of days before eating but it does get stickier and the flavours become richer with storage.

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday. That cake looks, and sounds, delicious.
    Getting to do anything in the garden at this time of year is a bonus. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had a lovely day. Although it's damp here, it's not actually raining at the moment, so we're heading out to do a bit more tidying in the yard.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you had a good day and the cake looks delicious. I wish I could have an afternoon nap and feel refreshed, I don't even feel refreshed after a good nights sleep. lol Take care. Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.