Thursday, 21 January 2016

Overheating on a frosty day and Gluten Free Vanilla Biscones

 


I've been feeling decidedly under par for the last few days and yesterday I felt particularly horrid. Despite it being sub zero outside for the whole day, inside I was hot (and not in an attractive 'come-to-bed' way). I spent much of the day wandering around the house in nothing but my undies, a t-shirt and slippers, while Mr J had at least three layers on and two pairs of socks. My temperature swung from tropical beach to Norwegian fjord and back again in a flash, it didn't make for a very interesting (or interested) day so I resigned myself to staring at the telly and dozing.

During a spell of feeling up to doing something gentle, I headed for the kitchen and rummaged in the fridge for something to make for lunch.  We ended up with a rustic cottage pie with celeriac infused mash topping and some vanilla biscones. I made a huge rectangular dish full of cottage pie so that I could portion and freeze most of it for use on another day. This helps us have homemade food on days when I am not feeling up to cooking as we can just pop a couple of portions into a microwave to defrost and heat up. 
I couldn't find my usual brand of finely ground corn meal when we went shopping last week, so I bought some Gram Flour (made from chick peas) and have been experimenting with some success. I made some scones which didn't rise as much as I would have liked them to, but in the end they made a wonderful half way point between biscuits and scones, so I'm calling them Biscones.

Gluten Free Vanilla Biscones





2 ozs Salted Butter
2 ozs Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
3 ozs Gram Flour
2 ozs Golden Caster Sugar
1/2 pinch salt
1/2 tspn Gluten Free Baking Powder
1/2 tspn Gluten Free Xanthan Gum
1 tspn Vanilla Extract
Cold Water

Pre-heat oven to 190C, 170Fan, 350F, gas mark 5.

Wash your hands thoroughly. Place butter into a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and rub together to form a fine crumb.




Add vanilla extract and a little water and mix to form a soft but not soggy consistency. If it's too wet, add a little more flour.
Turn onto a very lightly floured board and pat down until about 1/2 inch thick. Using a cutter, cut into rounds and place on a baking sheet.

Cook in the centre of the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until just golden. Keep checking that they aren't over done as they can catch on the base quite easily. Turn onto a cooling rack to cool.

We enjoyed them while still warm with butter and strawberry conserve until we realised how nice they were just on their own!




4 comments:

  1. I hope that you feel better today. Those biscones look, and sound, delicious. Take care. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gluten free recipes. Think I'm going to have to search the supermarkets for ingredients...I think the reason I don't feel well some days could be Hashi flares!! I too am feeling hot this winter and am still in T shirts, usually by now I would have 2 jumpers and a fleece waistcoat on - and that's indoors. lol We live in Sweden so it makes my T shirt wearing even more bizarre!! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, we love Sweden! Sorry to hear that you get Hashi's flares, it such a nuisance to get knocked sideways by a flare up! Have you read Izabella Wentz's book about The Root Cause?
      Liz

      Delete
    2. Thanks Liz I'll look for that book. Sheila x

      Delete

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.