Monday, 18 January 2016

Planning the herbaceous border

As the weather warms a little and the ground dries up a bit I'll start planting the herbaceous border, which will be sited on the other side of the fence at the back of the shrubbery. My plan is to have perennial flowers and bulbs to enjoy in situ and for cutting for vases in the house. There are so many plants to choose from but here are some of my favourites that I grew in my last garden. Above are some Scilla that I had in numerous clumps growing through lots of different varieties of Geranium and Woodruff.
Peonies and Oriental Poppies in a variety of shades add blousy, if fleeting, splendour to a border. I like the rich deep green foliage and texture that they bring and the way that the buds offer promise of colour for days before they open.

The perennial Geraniums flowers that hover above fresh green mounds of leaves that spread so eagerly come in a huge variety of colours and my favourites include white and this deep rich purple variety.
I also like to include spreading ground cover plants like Aubrietia so that as time goes on I can do less weeding and more enjoying. My father loved Aubrietia in all its varieties for their early colour in the garden, he had it scrambling along the tops of walls and cascading down the sides like little floral waterfalls.

 Aquilegia that self-seed all over the place and hold their flowers high above the foliage always make me smile. I saved some seed of a very deep dark purple flowered one that grew in my mother's garden but I know that the colours aren't terribly reliable from saved seed, so it will be interesting to see what colour comes up.

Roses have always had a place in my garden, wherever I have lived and I particularly like ones that climb and scramble and look like they are misbehaving.


In addition to these flowering lovelies, I already have some young plants ready to put into the border including Foxgloves, Delphinium, Verbascum and Lysimachia punctata (Yellow Loosestrife) to give height.




 
I've bought lots of bulbs and corms to go in too, they probably won't give me much of a display this year, but next year they should provide a host of cheery, colourful flowers.
 
Today I am going to continue looking online and browse through books and take a look at the notes that I kept about how well plants grew in my previous gardens to see what else I might like to go in this border. I will also appeal to friends and family to see what they have in their gardens that can be divided later in the year so that perhaps a portion could end up in our perennial border.
 
It will of course be an on-going project, but I'd like to think that I could get the bulk of the planting done this spring and then spend the next few years tinkering with the design and display.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post and pictures. I'm sure that it'll provide you with much pleasure over the coming years. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be great to actually get some plants in the ground. The ground is either sodden or frozen at the moment so I'm looking forward to the weather improving enough to get the borders done. x

      Delete

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.