Monday, 28 March 2016

Easter weekend round up UPDATED

It's been a typical Easter weekend, the rain and wind have treated us to their full force and between stormy weather, the sun has shone. So we haven't spent very much time outside but we have achieved a few tasks.

Saturday morning I took my daily walk around the garden to check that the stock fences are all intact, the animals are happy and healthy and that nothing has broken, been damaged or blown around overnight. A mole seems to be doing it's thing all over the back garden, I don't really have a problem with a mole in an area that we plan to have as a wildflower garden, but I do object to signs of mole activity around the edge of the paddock where I am creating the fruit and vegetable garden. I am finding it quite hard to find a balance between working with nature and trying to control the environment, I suspect that in the end, the local animal residents and I will find a way of working around each other (with me working around them!).

Anyway, on Friday evening I spotted an advert on eBay for a 1000 litre plastic tank that was being sold not to far away and the seller was happy to deliver, so on Saturday morning he arrived with the water tank.

A brief telephone conversation between us beforehand meant that I had also agreed to have a look at a second tank which didn't have the metal cage around it or pallet beneath it. We quickly agreed to have the second tank too as we can mount it on a pallet and use a couple of ratchet ties around it to give it added strength. My plan for these is to put one at the back of the stable and garden store room where, at the moment, there are a pair of standard size water butts and the other will either go at the back of the house or by the piggery. Using all our existing water butts and the new ones, we should be able to store around 3000 litres for use in the garden using the summer months. Our thinking behind this is not only an environmental one, but that because we are on a water meter, it should save us some money too. When we can work out a way of capturing and storing our grey water, we will store that too. This will take a bit of careful planning as our bathroom is on the ground floor so there is no drop for gravity to carry the grey water into a storage tank.

The fields around the house are now starting to fill up with the sight and sound of lambs. The sheep that arrived a couple of weeks ago started lambing within two days of arriving and now a lot of them are accompanied by one or two lively little lambs. I seem to spend a great deal of time saying 'Awww'.

Our ducks have now settled in nicely. They were very wary of us for the first few days, but now waddle over to greet us as we walk towards their enclosure, mostly to see if we have brought anything nice for them to eat, but I like to imagine that they are pleased to see us. The female duck makes very funny noises when we feed them something she really likes. Peas seem to send her into absolutely rapturous state and she makes these lovely noises while she's eating. We've sectioned off part of the paddock for them. It is a fairly flat area in which we've created a slope using the turf lift from the perennial border, that leads to the top of a rectangular container that is their pond (about 4 feet by 3 feet by one foot deep). The enclosure also has an old large elderberry tree in it. This tree is the one that has fallen over and the main trunk grows horizontally with all the branches reaching up and out. This provides the ducks with shelter from the rain and also from the sunshine if it ever gets too warm for them. They also have a shelter that looks like a small pig ark which they haven't started using yet and their duck house, which they only seem to go into at night.

The crested Cream Legbar (CLB) chickens are growing well. They are now sixteen weeks old and hopefully will start laying in the next month. Yet again, with all the space that they have to run around in, I found them hanging around together in their favourite cosy corner towards the back of the stable. They really don't like the windy weather, but as luck would have it, they have come to live on a windy smallholding and will just have to get used to it over time. We haven't given these ones names as they are here for a function, to provide eggs and eventually meat and we've decided to be careful not to get too attached to them or eating them at a later date may prove to be difficult. Jack and Diesel on the other hand, came to us as pets that happen to lay eggs, so they have the names that they arrived with (my daughter and grandson named them). Chickens we have in the future are unlikely to have names for the same 'don't eat friends' reason. We have been offered a young crested Cream Legbar cockerel that is unrelated to the CLB we have. I have yet to have the discussion with Mr J about having him, but hope that he will agree to having a cockerel for a few months before he becomes a table bird (the cockerel, not Mr J). It would be nice to see if the girls become broody and provide us with the next generation of birds for eggs and meat.

Inside the house, I have commandeered one end of the kitchen table for use as a potting shed for sowing seeds. I've been sowing a few seed trays every few days and once they have germinated on the kitchen windowsill or in the boot room, I move the tiny plants to the cold greenhouse.

The courgette seeds that I planted on 18th March have now started to germinate, I will wait until they have one pair of true leaves before I pot them on and move them to the cold greenhouse. Recently I've also sown butternut squash, red orach, spinach, pot marigolds, broad beans, curly kale and poached egg plants. The flowers are for companion planting and to encourage pollinating insects into the garden. Some of the vegetables, like the kale, I am planting are for the birds to eat during the autumn and winter months. I use a general purpose peat free compost which I find works well but plants that have been in it for around three months are now showing signs that they need more nutrients, so it's probably time I either started to feed them or to get them planted outside.

The first sowing of tomato seeds now have their first true leaves and I have potted them into individual pots to grow on for the next few weeks until they can be planted out. They are a cordon variety which I am going to grow some outside and some in the greenhouse and then will be able to compare how well they get on in each environment. I have three varieties to grow this year and I hope to have 6 or 8 plants of each variety, which may seem like a lot of tomatoes, but I make our own tomato sauce and chutneys and this year, I plan to make our own ketchup too. Having enjoyed Heinz ketchup for the last 50 years, I have recently started having an intolerance type reaction to it, so I think it's time to make my own using organic ingredients, in the hope that I am just reacting to an additive or a residue on one of the ingredients of the shop bought version.

I am probably growing more of each vegetable than I will need, but this will allow me to give some young plants to my sister and to my daughter and to have a few spare plants in case those in the garden fail at an early stage. We should (I hope) have many more vegetables than we can eat or process and save for use later, the surplus will then go to the local food cooperative where I hope to be able to swap them for locally raised organic meat, and cheese.

Earlier in the week I saw my doctor again to discuss the HRT that she had prescribed as a trial about six weeks ago. She agreed with me that it wasn't working for me as I had started once again to have many of the symptoms of thyroid failure that hit me last year. It seems that the HRT affected the balance of thyroid medication or it's absorption or something, but whatever it was, it wasn't doing me any good. I had already stopped taking the HRT a few days before I saw her, as I was rapidly becoming quite unwell and am pleased to have started feeling improvements again since stopping. She also agreed to increase the dosage of synthetic thyroid hormone that I am taking and hopefully this will start to have a positive impact over the next couple of weeks. I've also had an ultrasound scan of my kidneys to rule out any physical problems with my kidneys. They function well, but quite slowly and for me this is fine, I am not worried about them working slowly as long as they are working properly. So that's another question mark cleared away which is all good news. Anyway, I don't mean to moan, merely to share that my health is once again having an up and down period which effects the amount I can do in any given day.

I have used some of the time spent on the sofa this weekend to do a little online shopping. Last year when we were looking for our new home I promised Mr J that when we had a garden of our own, I would make some fruit, flower and vegetable wine. Years ago I started making my own wine and I haven't done this for some time. Although I don't drink alcohol any more, I am happy to make wine for Mr J and make myself some cordials at the same time. So I have ordered the essential equipment to be able to start making wine as soon as the elderflowers are out on the (several) elderberry trees we have in the garden and yard. And after that, I can make wine from other flowers, fruit and vegetables that we grow.

We have been saving glass containers and bottles for over a year, everything from wine bottles and cordial bottles to jam jars and chutney bottles. So we should have plenty of containers for homemade wine, cordials and the jams and chutneys that I plan to make this year. Our aim is to have enough home grown, home made food to reduce our shopping bills to a minimum and to have as much control as possible over the quality of what we eat and drink.

I'm looking forward to a productive year.

UPDATE

Mr J agreed that we could have the Cream Legbar cockerel and so off we went to the breeder, about half an hour away, to collect a second-hand brooder that he had for sale. My intention was to buy the brooder so that when the time came, we would have one and not have to rush out and buy a costly new one. Brooders are heat lamps or pads that are used to keep chicks warm if they are hatched from eggs in an incubator as opposed to being hatched by a mother hen (who do there own keeping chicks warm). We don't have an incubator and it will probably be some time before we even think about getting one. 

We also took a large box to bring home the young cockerel. Remember that phrase, young cockerel. I was expecting to see a bird about the size of our CLB girls, but no, this young fella is just over 6 months old and is, in comparison to any of our girls, a whopper. We were also told that he will grow some more before the year is out. He is however, a very handsome chap and is now settled into a small pen in the chicken condo for a few days before he joins the girls free ranging in the paddock during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.