Thursday, 14 April 2016

50 Things that please the senses


Sometimes I feel it's good to remind myself of the simple things in life that bring me so much pleasure. And, walking around the paddock with the chickens this morning I thought today would be a good day to share some of them.

Vision
Mr J's sleepy smile in the morning
The colours of the sky goes as the sun is coming up or going down
Meteor showers
Frost on a spider's cobweb
A first leaf peeking through the soil as a seed germinates
Dew drops on leaves
A smile from a stranger
The grandchildren engrossed in a task

Sound
My children's laughter
The mew of new-born kittens
Wooden knitting needles clicking together
The dawn chorus
Music that moves me
The crackle of a fire in the wood burner
Running water in a stream
The funny noise the ducks make when I feed them peas
The quiet of the end of the day

Taste
Tomatoes picked straight from the plant
Salt on my lips after a walk on the beach
Raspberries warmed by the sun
A cup of tea after working outside for a while or at the end of a long journey
Crispy bacon
Freshly baked bread
Roast vegetables
Freshly squeezed orange juice

Touch
The softness of babies' ever-so-slightly downy skin
The grain of the wood on my kitchen chopping block
A foot rub or back rub when I'm achy
The warmth of a hot water bottle on a cold winter's night
Clean and ironed bed linen
Fresh air on my face after being inside the house for hours
Warming sun on my skin that makes the muscles relax

Smell
The earth after it has rained on a warm summer's evening
Toasted bread just as it pops out of the toaster
New leather shoes
Sweet peas
Freshly grated lemon zest
Sun-warmed sand on a beach
Newly mown grass
Marzipan (even though I can no longer eat it!)
Fresh herbs

Emotion
The love I feel for my family
The joy of my rugby team winning (I don't own a team, it's the one that I support)
Laughing so much that I cry
A shared happy secret with someone I care about
The relief on finding something that I thought was lost
The pleasure of giving a gift
The pleasure of unexpected compliment
The security of the feeling of belonging
The satisfaction of completing a task.

If you'd like to receive my blog posts direct to your inbox just enter your email address in the box below and follow the instructions. You'll probably need to confirm by clicking a link in your email inbox and then you will receive my blog each time a new entry is published. You can, of course, cancel your subscription at any time.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

10 comments:

  1. what a lovely post #momsterslink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie. I hope you find some of your own things to smile about today.
      Liz

      Delete
  2. A most enjoyable post. Sadly my sense of smell and taste is very poor so I have to have to make up for that in other ways. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your sense of taste & smell not being great. Although some days around our chickens that would be a distinct advantage!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post :) So many wonderful things to focus on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs Tubbs, I spent so many years focusing on the negatives in my life that it's lovely to be able to see the good things & appreciate them.
      Liz

      Delete
  4. I love this idea. I think it's so important to reflect on the little things in life that make us happy. I stopped and enjoyed the looks of spring today. I just love the feeling of spring and summer. Thanks so much for linking up with #momsterslink. Hope you will join me again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, the warmer weather makes everything feel that little bit nicer. Yes, I'll be trying to link up again this week.
      Liz

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post! And a great reminder to slow down sometimes and really enjoy all the wonderful things around us. x #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madeline, we have slowed down to the point where our whole lives are just a bit gentler, it's been very good for the soul as well as our health.
      Liz

      Delete

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.