Saturday, 2 July 2016

Keeping a lid on it

Last night saw a burst of unexpected activity on our smallholding. We were both up early yesterday which meant that by late afternoon I was exhausted and fell asleep on the sofa. At half past seven in the evening Mr J woke me apologetically, but we needed to spring into action.
Blithering rather than springing (and apparently rather grumpily) I joined Mr J outside to help with a problem. It's been surprisingly windy for the last couple of days and the tarpaulin covering the shed had blown off. The shed had half of its roof on it and we'd already laid the floor on joists and fitted out the inside in preparation for the chickens moving into it, but it was still missing one half of the roof. Obviously we didn't want the newly refurbished inside of the shed to get soaked in the rain, so we either needed to get the temporary cover back on to it or the other half of the roof.
Mr J had reconstructed the roof panel as it was rotten in places and I had fixed some roofing felt onto it ready for it to be put onto the shed. However, it was just too heavy for us to lift on our own, so we've been waiting until someone could help us lift it. We thought it would be just as easy to get the new roof panel on than to put the tarpaulin back on, so Mr J called on one of our neighbours to help us. As luck would have it, it turned out to be much easier to put this panel on than the first one and, with a little wobbling around on a step ladder, we fixed the final sheet of roofing felt over the apex of the roof.
We are using hazel poles as roosting bars, partly because we have them and partly because it seems nicer to perch on a round tree branch than on the square edges of a planed two by one batten. Mr J and I fixed two by four battens to the inside of the shed walls and then bracing pieces each side of the hazel poles to stop them from moving around as the birds climb on them.
As it's a weekend of change for the birds, I thought last night was as good a time as any to relocate the chicken into their new accommodation and to put Big Red and Little White in with the rest of the flock. The only issue with this idea is that the cockerel is not in the least bit impressed with the youngest members of his flock, but he had put himself to bed in a separate house (which we have transferred him to every night since he arrived). There is a certain irony that he should finally get the hang of going to bed in his own house two evenings before he moves home.

Anyway, once we had put wood shavings onto the floor of the shed, we transferred the girls, one by one, into their new super-deluxe chicken shed. They had been in their old henhouse about half an hour and whilst not yet deeply asleep, they were fairly dozy. This seemed ideal as they were awake enough to take hold of the hazel pole perches, but not so awake that they were terribly aware of being disturbed. That is until Diesel woke up. She's a feisty old girl and was even more grumpy about being woken than I had been. Absolutely refusing to perch, she and Jack sulked in a dark corner on the floor, but the Cream Legbars had a brief look around their new house and apparently it met with their approval as, within a few minutes, they were cuddling together on the top perch. The birds had been pretty squashed in their house, it was designed for up to six large birds and while the Legbars were small it wasn't a problem for them to be together in it, but now that they are almost fully grown it was starting to get too cramped. Right now, there is almost too much space in the shed for them, but as our flock increases, the perches will fill up.
When I woke this morning I was worried that Big Red and Little White may have been hurt by the others, but I needn't have worried, all the birds were still asleep when I went to let them out of the shed and I'm not sure that the older girls had even noticed that the younger ones had joined them in the shed.
At five this morning the garden looked wonderful, the sun was starting to reach the paddock and the air smelled fresh and clean, there was almost no breeze blowing and life felt pretty marvellous. The view across the neighbouring smallholdings and farms towards the Second Severn Crossing is delightful and especially lovely in this golden early morning light. As the sun highlights the bridge, it takes on an magical appearance and it's moments like this that remind me just how lucky we are to live here. 
The area near the chicken shed that I fenced off last month is now looking good. The chickens had prepared the ground nicely by scratching over the compost heaps, which I  have since moved and used the compost in the vegetable beds. I planted seed potatoes into the area and then mulched with straw. The potatoes went into the ground very late, but I am hoping that I will get a crop from them in early autumn. Even if the potatoes are small, they can still be useful to us.
In the kitchen garden, the purple kale and January King cabbages are coming along nicely, but the courgettes and butternut squash seem to be struggling. I have fed them and they picked up a little, but not nearly as much as I'd like.
The newer beds are still being planted up and establishing, I have covered some of the pathways with cardboard and mulched with the shredded Leylandii that has been stored since we trimmed the hedge in the front garden a few weeks ago. I've planted the bed next to the courgettes with purple sprouting broccoli, perpetual spinach, sunflowers and rainbow carrots. In the bed next to that (on the left with the green modules on it), I am in the process of planting Cavolo Nero kale, rainbow chard and leeks. Mr J and I are not very keen on kale, but the chickens love it and the hope is to grow lots of greens that will supplement the chickens diet in the winter when there are less clovers, dandelions and other plants that they are enjoying in their field at the moment.
Last month, I harvested our first lettuce and rather pulling it up, I cut it leaving the base and a few leaves. Within days it had started sprouting new leaves and now they have grown large enough to harvest them too. I will definitely continue to do this with the other lettuce in the bed, as it gives me another crop of lettuce on well established roots rather than successional sowing.
In the greenhouse, the tomatoes are growing well, every plant is producing tomatoes from each cluster of flowers and I'm pleased to see that they are of an even shape. The first ones are just starting to ripen and are now orangey-red and full of promise.
I picked a few strawberries, mange tout and young broad bean pods as I walked around the garden this morning and I'm looking forward to eating them for lunch.

Readers who follow me on Twitter, will already know that the last few days have been tiring and rather dramatic on the smallholding. The latest batch of chicks were due to hatch on 28th June and were still trying to hatch on the night of the 30th. I have been putting together a vlog of the chicks hatching and as soon as it's ready I will put it onto my YouTube channel. If you follow me on Twitter or subscribe to the YouTube channel, you will know as soon as it is available.

If you'd like to receive my blog posts direct to your inbox just enter your email address in the box below and follow the instructions. You'll probably need to confirm by clicking a link in your email inbox and then you will receive my blog each time a new entry is published. You can, of course, cancel your subscription at any time.
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.