Saturday, 20 August 2016

Perhaps I should know


I spend a lot of time wondering why I don't know some basic information that I feel I should know. These aren't jaw dropping facts and figures that I don't know, they are some very simple basics that I need to find out about, but somehow along the way I haven't learnt them. My head is full of all sorts of (useful and useless) information, but now I am working on our smallholding, I need an additional set of knowledge. It occurs to me that if I spent less time wondering why I don't have this knowledge, I could actually spend that time looking up the answers! So here are some of the things that I don't know.

In the garden

What do wasps eat?

Do slugs eat caterpillars?

What are earwigs for?

How do the first few insects get to a new pond?

How do pea and bean weevils get to the garden?

Why do ducklings eat their own poop if they poop in a pond?

How do I tell if an apple is ripe while it's still on the tree?

Why do weed seeds grow more strongly than the seeds I've planted?


In the kitchen

How long can I store eggs in the freezer?

Is plastic really safe to store food in?

What is xanthan gum? (I use it so perhaps I should know what it is)

Why does my homemade gluten free bread look like fungus and taste not too dissimilar?

How do I clean the residue of 'stuff' from the ceramic top of the cooker?

How do I cook spinach and chard so that they don't taste so much like muddy water?


In the poultry field

Can I put one month old ducklings in with the two month olds?

What's the latest time of year that I can hatch chickens' eggs?

And so my questions go on and on. As the weather is due to be fairly unpleasant again tomorrow, I may just spend an hour or so looking up some of the answers!

On an entirely unrelated subject, but one I want to share anyway - I'm not a technophobe exactly, but I can get muddled now and then. There are so many ways to add bits and pieces to a blog or to put features that may or may not be of interest to readers that sometimes I feel frustrated and confused by it all. 

Anyway, after some trial and error I think I now have a widget gizmo thingy that will allow you to receive my blog straight to your inbox. If you are using a pc, you can find it in the right hand column just below the About Me section. If on a mobile phone, you'll need to go to the bottom of the page, click on 'view web version' and again you'll find it below the About Me section on the right. Eventually I might work out how to add the sign up section to the bottom of each blog, but until then, please feel free to sign up to receive my blog directly to your email.

3 comments:

  1. Such questions are endless surely. Nowadays with the internet almost any question can be answered immediately if need be, except perhaps the last of your gardening questions!
    Blog gizmos and widgets are something I try to avoid if I can.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flighty, yes of course the answers can be found online and when I remember to look them up, bit by bit my questions are answered. But somehow, so often, I don't have my phone with me to look up answers when I think of the questions and by the time I get to my phone or pc, I've forgotten that I had a query. And of course, I could have looked up the answers as I typed my blog, but I didn't. Doh! Hope you are well, Liz x

      Delete

I would love to receive your comments and feedback, please bear in mind that they may not appear immediately as some comments are moderated.